Insulating a Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a porch that has been built in single brick. Half the porch has the brick showing and part has plasterboard on it which has been painted.

I have just noticed a small part near the exterior door,near to the floor appears damp and the paint is flaking off.

Does anyone know what is best to do to stop the damp getting any worse and is there a way of insulating inside the porch as it is a very cold place.

Any help is greatly apprecited.

Thanks,
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Porches are cold because they are not heated.

They are not heated because they are not insulated.

They are not insulated because they are not designed to be i.e. single brick built etc. This is because a porch is a stop gap between getting out of the wind and rain and entering the main dwelling.

There are many ways to insulate but all at a cost to space internally. You could for instance try the simple method of sticking insulated plasterboard to the walls. However there are many different thicknesses and grades of insulation backed plasterboard.

What is it you want the porch to do? Is it your intention to heat this space?

Thank you for the reply.

Im just looking to try and alleviate some of the cold but moreso to stop the little bit of damp from getting any worse. Also, I would like to remove the damp

Thanks
Debbie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back