How long top drain down open system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm draining down my open CH system, and have opened the bleed valves upstairs first. I tried opening the downstairs bleeds but there is still a bit of water coming out. The small F+E tank in the loft has had its ballcock tied up.

It seems to be taking ages (45 mins so far) - is this normal? Do I just need to be patient and wait - the water coiming out of the hose (attached to drain cock on downstairs rad) is only trickling.

There are 5 rads upstairs and 3 downstairs

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the drain off point is blocked or the rubber washer has come off the end of the bit you unscrew. Put plastic dish & plastic sheet under D O P take off hose, is it still trickling/ If so get small electricians screwdriver and poke up end. If this don't work unscrew completley and put screwdriver up this bit. be prepared for gush of water if it was blocked.

You may need a new drain off washer fitted before reassembly.

Draining down can sometimes seem to take an age.

When you (eventually) drain it, consider fitting these to your downstairs radiators instead of ordinary lockshields (especially on rads that are near an external door that you can poke a hosepipe out of). They will make it quicker and easier next time.

If the downstairs rads are supplied by pipes that come down from the ceiling, you will need one on every downstairs rad.

p1050790_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, the downstairs rads already have these (it is one of these I'm draining the system from).

Thankfully, it seems to have stopped trickling, so no for the hard (for me) bits ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back