How many coats and order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So i've got new bare wood panel doors and doors frames. I primed and undercoated them with wickes solvent paint now I am applying Albany acrylic Egg shell and i'm on my second coat of top paint but it looks like it might need another 2 coats. Have I done something wrong? Would I have been better to do two coats of undercoat?

I've used this top coat on pre-primed mdf skirting before and never undercoated it and found it needed 4 coats – is this normal?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you are doing anything wrong many people have difficulty using the Acrylics, there is a tendency to over brush. You will make things easier if you use a synthetic bristle brush such as a Purdy.

Dec

Bye the way you should have applied a knotting solution before your primer.

Dec

Bad idea putting acyllic eggshell over solvent undercoat, you're going to have very poor adhesion and it may even split. Its supposed to be the other way round. The albany eggshell being water based just has poor obliteration and will need several coats regardless of whats underneath it.

Sikkens bl primer/undercoat is excellent and that would have been the best option for following with the albany but it would still need two coats minimum. Hope you knotted!

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling he didn't, I have to be honest I've never come across any problems using the Acrylics over an oil u\c.

Dec

Yup knotted, so apart from having to apply loads of coats it's all good but I am surprised by how many it's taking hence asking if I should have applied two undercoats first. I'm only doing one room but I have another 7-8 left to do so thought it was best to ask before I do the rest ;)

Dec, is this the product you mean?

http://www.tools-paint.com/product/Sikkens_RUBBOL_BL_PRIMER_WHITE_1L_5006801

So just one of these after knotting, then 2-3 top coats hopefully... Just out of interest, this primer/undercoat is also solvent based, is it just much much better than wickes?

I have a feeling he didn't, I have to be honest I've never come across any problems using the Acrylics over an oil u\c.

Dec

That feeling is wrong, spent ages going round doing the place been there done that, never not knotting again!!!

Yep thats the stuff its very good, its not solvent based and i can guarantee its way better than wickes which are on the whole just about the worst paint you can buy.
Its hard to say how many coats as you may apply it thinly and do two or thick and get away with one, you've just got to use your judgement.

Dec i've never done it but it was just one of those cardinal rules i was taught when doing my ticket. I think with the new voc reg paints the chances of problems are definately lowered as well.

With acryllics its also a good idea to slightly dampen your brush prior to starting and as dec says use a good quality synthetic

Thanks for the reply dcdec some very good points you raised there, as I said I haven't yet had any problems although something to be wary of in the future.

Cheers

Dec

Use any old primer, Albany oil undercoat and Albany oil top coat you will only need 3 coats TOTAL!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, think I'm going to change the primer/undercoat I'm using as the top coat is colour matched, I have 5lt for the whole house and it's not cheap.

Few lessons learnt today!

Sorry, the description for the undercoat says the following:

Sikkens RUBBOL BL PRIMER WHITE 1L. Premium quality, solvent-borne primer/undercoat that can be used on exterior timber.

Does solvent-borne not mean it's solvent based?

so just wanted to put an update on here for future visitors.

As advised I spent the money on Sikkens primber/undercoat what a difference, still need two coats of under coat and two top coats but the look and feel of the woodwork is so much better. I have shed loads of 'ready primed' mdf skirting to do and instead of going straight for a top coat i'm going to Sikkens it first. Isn't cheap but well worth the spend so thanks for the pointers.

Just need an alternative to Albany paint, very disappointed in colour match and coverage – very thin...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back