how many litres should drain from one radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys

trying to drain a radiator (via bleed valve) so can take out the half nut to input some sentinel via a funnel. ive put the trv to 0 and shut off lockshield valve but now ive drained like 7 litres from the radiator and now wondering is this normal? the radiator is a 600 by 500 smallish one. how many litres of water is normal to be drained from this radiator?

Sponsored Links
even though the radiator was stone cold and both pipes cold when i turned the heating on?

how many litres of water is normal to be drained from this radiator?
A 600 mm high single rad holds about 0.1 litre per section (vertical channel), a double about 0.2 litres per section.

A 500mm wide single will be about 1.65 litres; a double about 3.3 litres.

Sponsored Links
so basically if i try other radiators i should be lookin at no more than say 5ish litres?

As has been said your valves are letting by and even if they weren't you won't drain a sufficient amount from the top of the rad to administer the inhibitor.
Choose another rad, release bleed nipple till flow stops then get a tub under a valve and crack open a nut on the valve till a couple of litres drained and then Put the inhibitor in.

ive got a radiatr in the bathroom that has two wheel movable lockshield valves. i think this mite be the bypass radiator...can i go ahead and turn this radiator off and use this to put in inhibitor then put lockshields back on after anticlockwise?

Put it in any radiator bud. I don't even use inhibitor in my own house, never have.

when i open the 1/2 nut at the top to put in inhibitor via the funnel will the 1/2 nut screw bac in as normal or do i need pfte tape to wrap round the nut before putting back in?

FFS, don't resurrect that old argument. Fernox and Sentinel obviously don't know anything about water treatment!!!
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back