How many MEB points?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rewiring an apartment- now, it's not unusual to find multiple rising mains + water isolation stoptaps in purpose built blocks... this one has 8 (4x hot&cold). But the real killer was finding the radiators were retro-fitted in the 60's with all ten on separate risers from the basement... yeah, thats 19 MEB's with the gas meter... And some would argue 29 as feed/return are technically both incoming services :rolleyes:

Not considered when quoting either :(

I may be using the odd thru crimp or two dozen on this one.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused :confused: Are saying that you have 19 separate services entering the building from outside?

It is a question of do you treat the building as a whole or do you treat each appartment individually.
If you choose to treat each appartment individually then you install a MET for each appartment in each appartment and do the bonding for each service entering each appartment to that.
If you treat it as a whole building then just the mains as they enter need bonding.
How are the electrics being supplied to each appartment? If they are DNO fed and TN-CS then if you do bond each one individually you can end up with current flowing in the pipework which could cause issues.

It is a question of do you treat the building as a whole or do you treat each appartment individually.
If you choose to treat each appartment individually then you install a MET for each appartment in each appartment and do the bonding for each service entering each appartment to that.
If you treat it as a whole building then just the mains as they enter need bonding.
How are the electrics being supplied to each appartment? If they are DNO fed and TN-CS then if you do bond each one individually you can end up with current flowing in the pipework which could cause issues.

Apartments are fed via buildings own (ie not DNO) busbar trunking risers, with local meters. I've spoken to the nic- tech people about this and they really didn't like the idea.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused :confused: Are saying that you have 19 separate services entering the building from outside?

As every service travels vertically through the apartments from basement to top, any one apartment has 19 services entering it.

Apartments are fed via buildings own (ie not DNO) busbar trunking risers, with local meters. I've spoken to the nic- tech people about this and they really didn't like the idea.

What didn't they like and why?

What didn't they like and why?

They think the apartment should be considered an installation in it's own right. TBH 99% of the time I'd agree without hesitation because a flat with it's own equipotential bonding is "safe" from what anyone does externally.

I tend to agree. Whether the landlord likes it or not some tennants WILL mess with the wiring in thier property in dangerous ways. From a safety perspective you want to eliminate as much as feasible the danger of an electrical fault in one flat affecting the safety of another.

can't you just run one long run of 10mm round each flat and connect all the clamps to it without cutting it? Done that way it shouldn't be too onerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back