how many mist coats before putting the colour on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another quick question, Ive put a single white emulsion mist coat on my hallway which has recently been skimmed, How many mist coats should i put on before starting with the finish colour, Im using dulux mixed paint from b&Q for my final colour coats

Andy

Sponsored Links
THe mist coat is to seal. Once misted, its sealed.
If you have expensive paint you could always put a first coat on as as a base.

another way of looking at it is that if the wall is dry and hungry, and sucks the paint off your brush, it needs another thinned coat. i like to apply two.

And I agree about the base coat. I like to apply a coat of white (pref matt) which highlights any defects in the wall, which I can fill and re-coat before sloshing on the colour. This is especially worthwhile, as Diyisfun says, if the colour is expensive. It also levels out any patchiness so you may need fewer colour coats.

Hi I used travis perkins contact matt white as a cheap base coat on top of the mist coat I mixed up from the same this gives a good solid finnish for very little cost and then apply the better quality colour to get a really good finnish I put two top coats I prefer the dulux colourguard rich matt its washable removes sticky figure marks from when the grandchildren come to visit

Sponsored Links
The mist coat primes the wall ready for the next coats..and cuts down the suction a bit..

It also acts as a pointer to show you what needs rubbing down and filling..sometimes alfter the rubbing down the bare plaster is exposed..it could do with another thinned coat over it

The common system is mist and two..but I still thin the second one out so it goes on easier and dries flatter..depending on the paint I sometimes thin the third one too

As your using a 'mix' for the final coat you probably wont need to do this

Hi,

Im using the dulux trade soft sheen paint, do you think that this will need watering down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back