How many screws should i use on a 11cm wide t and g floorboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I am replacing old 6 inch by 1 inch floor boards with 20.5 mm thick 11cm wide tonge and groove floorboards.

The old boards had 2 fixing's per joist, do I still need 2 screws on the new ones even though they are around 2/3 as wide?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think screws are easier to remove in case of another leak in the bathroom in the future.

Only screw down the boards you think you will need to lift. Principally 2 boards at each side of the room, Nail the rest down. Punch head down below surface.
If you use ring nails you won't be able to lift the nailed boards if you have to.

Sponsored Links
The reason that I don't ideally want to nail them.because it's an old lath and plaster ceiling below and I don't want it to crack.
I also want to have reasonably easy access in the future is to check the joists for rot as it's a rental property and tenants don't care if they are splattering water all over the floor.

It was hard to get up the old boards fixed with old thick tapered nail type things.

What's the disadvantage of screws vs nails?
Do I need 2 of either on each joist per 11mm floorboard?
Thanks

Last edited:
110mm/just over 4" would be 2 fixings per joists
an infill off perhaps sub60 mm would be 1 fixing per joists
in general planks will only ever be 2 fixings but thats at say ex6"at 143mm not sure about older buildings or greater than perhaps 169/7"??

in general planks will only ever be 2 fixings but thats at say ex6"at 143mm not sure about older buildings or greater than perhaps 169/7"??
Even where you get 12in boards (or wider) on really old buildings you rarely find more than 2 nails at each joist

The reason that I don't ideally want to nail them.because it's an old lath and plaster ceiling below and I don't want it to crack.
Fair play. Good call

It was hard to get up the old boards fixed with old thick tapered nail type things
Cut nails

What's the disadvantage of screws vs nails?
Screws are slower to install, far more likely to split the ends of the boards unless piloted and countersunk (and screwed in carefully) and cost more. Also, after PZD acrews have been down a few years they may not want to come out either, especially in stuff like old pitch pine boards. You tend to find that the Pozi recesses fill up with carp and can burr out easily in some cases. So not 100% that they will come out again at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back