How can I pack or shim slightly thinner new floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a few boards in an old house there is around 1/2 mm thickness difference to the old boards.

I need it level as it will have plywood over then either vinyl or floor tiles.

I wondered what the best way of getting the new boards to sit slightly higher is please?

I thought maybe putting washers under but not sure how successful that would be or putting a few screws sitting proud on the joist?

Or screwing a bit of wood to sit slightly higher next to the joist.
Or do both?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230415_160635.jpg
    20230415_160635.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Aren't they 22mm thick or 25mm?

Get correct size boards is the answer.
Loads of places around that will run wood through plainer then the reset is easy

Thanks they are 22mm, the new t and g ones are 21mm.

I did get some 22mm reclaimed square edge boards but was concerned about putting them in a house that has already had damp wood.
They seemed wet when I bought them.

I also got some square edge 22mm sawn treated wood from wickes, that also seemed damp though it has a moisture level of 28 percent in places.
I guess it will dry out though?

Sponsored Links
Coat wood with clear primer preserver. Wickes sell 2.5lt for £19 if that's what you will be happy with.

I'd just fix the 22mm you have down tbh. Will dry out quickly this weather

An old method used to be to put a bit of lino on top of the joist where the board will sit.
Don't use the cushion floor type, you need good old fashioned linoleum stuff to take out any springiness.
Depending how thick your plywood is going to be, you may not even need to worry about the slight height difference as the ply will be flat. Don't think I've ever come across a floorboarded floor that was truly flat all over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back