What to shim a sole plate with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with a laminate floor which I've just lifted. It seems whoever built the adjoining stud wall to the bathroom in the next room has actually built the sole plate on top of the laminate floor :evil:, so now I have a gap (Around 10mm) between the wall's sole plate and the floorboards. :/

The sole plate is very slightly soft (from a leaky bath) and I'm considering replacing it, but I'm not sure that needs done.

I'm looking for options on what I can do, I don't want to knock the wall since the other side is tiled. As I see it my options are as follows:

1. Shim the sole plate the whole length with treated timber somehow thicknessed to the same size as a board of laminate.

2. Shim just under the uprights with something perhaps not timber to prevent further rot (i.e. most of the sole plate will be floating or supported at intervals) - Any idea if something like this exists (plastic shims, slate?)

3. Remove the sole plate which I'd do by cutting back the plasterboard, installing noggins (the wall doesn't seem to have any??) and supporting them with props, then cutting the uprights near the bottom to release the plate. I'd then install a new sole plate with uprights to meet the old uprights and bracing them on the sides. The small uprights on the new sole plate would be the right distance so that no shim to the floor would be required.

Which is the best option?
Thanks for the help folks!

Sponsored Links
if you have exposed 1 side of the wall,then you might be able to use a 'sabre saw' to cut the nails from the uprights to the sole plate,cut say half the plate away and renew plate using plastic shims(screwfix),and scew nail/screw the uprights to the new plate,then do the other half.

if you have exposed 1 side of the wall,then you might be able to use a 'sabre saw' to cut the nails from the uprights to the sole plate,cut say half the plate away and renew plate using plastic shims(screwfix),and scew nail/screw the uprights to the new plate,then do the other half.

I've been thinking about this most of the day and I think this is the option I'm going to head for, trying to cut the plate off the bottom of the uprights in two parts and then re-install it in halves. I'll check out screwfix for shims.

Would something like this do the job?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/plastic-shims-large-10mm-pack-of-200/55267?kpid=55267

I don't have a recip saw (wouldn't mind buying one), although the nails in the uprights have been skew nailed so there might be some opportunity to just pull them since the heads seem quite exposed on most.

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back