How much for a bricklayer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just failed to build a garden wall (750 bricks) and so have decided to quit while I'm ahead. So, I'm looking for a bricklayer in Suffolk. How much do bricklayers cost per day? Also, how many bricks can lay a day with/without a labourer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Prices are rocketing on sites so this has a knock-on effect in the domestic market. Expect to pay upwards of £120 per day.
A brickie may take three days on his own to build a 750 brick wall depending upon complexity. If it is a straight run with no pillars, perhaps less.
If there are pillars, soldier headers, wonky foundations or stepped foundations, bricks to barrow etc maybe more.

He may want to give you a price, i.e. £500 all in, the hit the job like a mad man. Start a daft o'clock and finish when it's dark and get done for two days.

Or...

Or he may agree a day rate and plod along, 8:00am till 4:00pm, and take a leisurely five days.

Last edited:
My neighbour is on the sites and he's getting £410/1000.

Last year it was £380/1000 and before that £350/1000.

It's only going one way!

OMG !!! o_O £120 a day upward !!
Please pass me on the names of all the brickies you know that will work for that amount and ill take the lot of them on :LOL:.
Where I am you'll be lucky to get one for any less than £170/£180 a day.

Sponsored Links
Please pass me on the names of all the brickies you know that will work for that amount and ill take the lot of them on :LOL:.
Yeah, I know the dancer.
There is still the hangover from the recession (in rural places!) so £120 is a good start point for private stuff.
£170 is a good days graft but pretty average on sites, agreed.

The garden wall is now finished. He charged £128 a day. He mixed the mortar himself and laid the bricks at a rate of about 600 bricks a day.

Yea you are in affluent south, not one of the poorest places in the UK.
What ****is me of is, people want London prices here(well most do), its so cheap living here. We have the coast in place of any motorways...lol

Diyisfun - is it really cheap there, and is there much work in/around Norwich? My ancestors used to be in Norfolk around the Broads and migrated to Eastbourne around 1910. Often wondered if it would have been better there- lot windier up there for sure;)

Diyisfun - is it really cheap there, and is there much work in/around Norwich? My ancestors used to be in Norfolk around the Broads and migrated to Eastbourne around 1910. Often wondered if it would have been better there- lot windier up there for sure;)

more bloody migrants :rolleyes::whistle::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back