How much heat is released from an insulated hot water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler and hot water storage tank (mega flow type) will be sited in our internal garage. I'll be making a small 1.2m by 1m partition in there to house and fire protect a heat recovery and ventilation type system that will be on the inside of an external wall and we might put a toilet and sink in there for service people.

I know that these megaflow type systems are already very well insulated but if I wanted to capture some of that heat loss and keep it in the same room as the toilet (leave aside the size requirement for the room as I can always make it bigger), my question is ultimately, is my idea flawed on the basis that these are so well insulated that utilising any heat loss is minimal? I'm trying to think of other uses for the warmth like a sort of airing cupboard etc.

Finally, should I be concerned about any electrical sockets being contained in this tiny room where there is a circa. 1m width back to wall toilet and sink unit and the large ventilation unit high above the sink (I could always put the socket on the other side if necessary).

Sponsored Links
By service people, do you mean you are going to house Illegals in there ?????

By service people, do you mean you are going to house Illegals in there ?????

Don't be silly.

Members of the Armed Forces are not illegal.

Neither are plumbers, painters, gardeners, care assistants, or other people who come to your home to provide a service.

should I be concerned about any electrical sockets being contained in this tiny room

no. But there are rules about sockets in a room that contains a fixed bath or shower. Or a swimming pool, hot tub, or wet sauna.

is my idea flawed on the basis that these are so well insulated that utilising any heat loss is minimal

Heat loss is slight. Insulate the hot pipes, too. The room will probably be comfortable even in winter, when the boiler will be running for long periods.

toilet and sink unit

so include ventilation, for example an extractor fan that comes on with the light switch and has an overrun timer. I suppose you could add a room stat to turn it on if the temperature becomes uncomfortably warm. mine never does.

Sponsored Links
Correct, no bath or shower in the proposed W/C for the garage (JohnD do you have a WC in the garage too?) We just plan to have a 1.5m by 1m partitioned room with a back to wall toilet, sink unit and then hang a central vacuum system on the wall and potentially this bulky ventilation system. Advantage is that it will help with noise insulation and also if I ever need to have gardeners or workmen around, they can have access to the garden or around the side of the house without having to enter the main house if we're not around (Ianmcd - don't worry I'll be keeping the lavender sticks in situ, lucky people).

Yes all pipes will be properly lagged. What's the difference between the grey pipe insulation and black ones you can get online. I think there is more to it than just colour someone told me.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the grey pipe insulation and black ones you can get online. I think there is more to it than just colour someone told me.

The black stuff (more expensive) is some kind of synthetic rubber used for outdoor and underground work. I have used it, I forget the big trade name. Begins with an "A"? They do (at least) two grades of different durability.

edit: Armaflex

only underground or outdoors.

IIRC it resists wet conditions and sunlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back