How much MOT hardcore do i need ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Can anyone confirm how much MOT hardcore i would need please for the following dimension on my driveway :

7m x 4.5m
I need a compacted/finished depth of 50mm

I already have a solid hardcore base and this layer is simply bring the overall level up sufficiently to then gravel straight on top

I've found a number of online calculators which have returned everything from 2.6 bulk bag to 4.5 which seems to be a pretty wide and wild range ! :eek:

Many thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
Just over 3 tonnes

thanks for the quick reply denso ! (y)

do you use a particular online calculator or if not, can you educate me with your maths please ?

my head was telling me get 2 bags first, rake it around and if i still needed more, to then order that separately as its free delivery

Sponsored Links
7 x 4.5 x 0.05 = 1.575m³

roughly two tonnes in a m³, therefore 1.575 x 2 = 3.15 tonnes.

Remember a large bulk bag is short of a tonne, normally.

Bouy / Denso / Blup - cheers guys, much appreciated !

All coming in just over 3t (y)

All coming in just over 3t

I've used the same calculation for many years for hardcore and concrete, basically m³ x 2.

Rule of thumb for decorative chippings is that 1 tonne will cover 10m² at 50mm deep.

I've used the same calculation for many years for hardcore and concrete, basically m³ x 2.

Rule of thumb for decorative chippings is that 1 tonne will cover 10m² at 50mm deep.

awesome, thanks again denso !

i meant to ask denso, what's your thought on the percentage compaction ?
will 100mm compact to 50mm or is that optimistic ?

If you had a bulk bag of MoT do you think if you stamped on it , it would reduce to half its depth? 10 -20% compaction at a gusstimate but your ground beneath may also compact

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back