How much of a conservatory could be reused for an extension?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at a house with this conservatory: https://goo.gl/photos/Fnn8t7DpRcaNevf4A

I would build (not personally!) in place of that an extension, probably one that connects with that garage wall. Overall size will be something like 6.5m wide and 5m deep, with a little extra to connect to the garage door, so it becomes an internal door. The garage will then be converted at a later date.

It seems a waste to bulldoze the conservatory though, so how feasible would it be to reuse most of the glass. Maybe ditch all the roof (and maybe reclaim and use bricks in new foundation - or is that more labour cost that brick cost?). Would not need all that glass, but maybe could also add a big window to the rear of the garage for light in that room too (will probably be a gym room and small office space).

The reason to get rid of the conservatory is mostly for space, but also because I need it as an all year living room. Are those glass panes likely to be good insulation, or would I be better off in the long-term (say 10 years, but could be until I die!) to use newer windows that cost more now but save loads on gas bills over the decades ahead?

Sponsored Links
The windows wouldn't meet modern thermal or security regs but it would depend on how lenient your building control officer is.
Bricks and that can be reused but you would have to clean them all up.

As for the conservatory I think your best bet would be to try to sell it to a neighbor with the same house layout or on ebay and put the money towards the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back