Drilling through UPVC Conservatory

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you drill through the side frame of a UPVC conservatory.

Basically my conservatory is a glass wall between two brick sidewalls with a roof. The glass wall being a UPVC Frame with windows and door. This was put in professionally by the previous owners.

However I now need to run a water pipe from this room to the garden outside for an outdoor tap. There is no other access to the garden other than through the consevatory.

So can i drill a 25mm hole in the UPVC frame adjoining one of the walls and run the pipe through it.

Sorry if its a daft question but i just dont know how these frames are constructed. Are they hollow inside do they have steel reinforcement? I just dont know. So i thought i would ask before starting to drill and potentially ruining a very nice conservatory. Or at least the wife said i should ask :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks the diagram is very useful. As you say its possible, but looks like a challenge.

I think you're mad, unless the frames are very wide to begin with. Have you not got any masonry beneath the glazing to go through instead.

Sponsored Links
The only masonery are the walls the frame is attached to. I didnt want to go this route as it means bending the pipe and making it more difficult to extract/repair if ever there was a need to. Plus additional redecoration mess etc.

Is the problem the fact i am thinking of drilling through the frame or just the size of the hole i am thinking of drilling

pushfit joints are easy, put in an elbow, through the wall and another elbow, and you're sorted.

unless your frame is 80mm plus i wouldnt drill a hole in it without a lot off testing
how much off the frame width is for the glazing each side!!!
how wide is the frame

i didnt say i wouldnt all i said was i would have to satisfy my self it was safe to do so

is there beading holding the windows in!!
if so what is the size off the stantion between the beading hopfully greater than 44mm!!

Thanks all for the advice and replies. I have decided to channel behind the side frame, as i said a bit more disruption on the decorating front but safer than risking a cracked glazing panel.

Just hope i dont channel where they have drilled the frame to the wall. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back