Drilling into uPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I didn't know where to put this question...

I am wanting to fit a smart doorbell. My external door is a porch which only has brick to waste height. At doorbell height it's glass and uPVC

The uPVC on the right hand side (you can see where the old doorbell was suck on) is not part of the door frame itself.

I can drill into the uPVC, but how do I hold it in place, ala raw plug they things. How thick are this fixings? It's not like drilling into a wall where the whole plug and screw go in.

I'm confused

Can someone help?

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_135028.jpg
    IMG_20210605_135028.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 437
Sponsored Links
For fixing small items to pvc, use self tapping screws, which involves drilling a pilot hole smaller than the screw itself - have some practice until you get the correct size.
You may encounter some aluminium framework inside but you can drill through this too.
John :)

For fixing small items to pvc, use self tapping screws, which involves drilling a pilot hole smaller than the screw itself - have some practice until you get the correct size.
You may encounter some aluminium framework inside but you can drill through this too.
John :)

Thanks, I think I read similar. So, what are self tapping screws?! They just look like screws to me :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A tap is a tool for making threads in a material so that things can be screwed in to it. So a 'self-tapping screw' does not need the tool to make the thread, it does it itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back