How much self levelling compound can I mix at once

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't quite realise how many bags of SLC it'd take to raise a floor by 10-20mm.

How many can you realistically mix at once in a bit enough container? I'm thinking of using something like a plastic 90L bin which would take 4-5 bags I think.

Sponsored Links
providing you get the water to powder ratio right you can mix as much as you can handle. bear in mind itll need some trowelling to get it spot on so you’ll need somewhere to kneel as your going.
how big is the floor and have you filled in all the ‘escape’ routes?

providing you get the water to powder ratio right you can mix as much as you can handle. bear in mind itll need some trowelling to get it spot on so you’ll need somewhere to kneel as your going.
how big is the floor and have you filled in all the ‘escape’ routes?

Cheers! It's about 6m2 so not huge huge, was just a bit surprised how many bags I'd need and it sets so bloody quick!

What do you mean by escape routes? I've got a door to the outside which helps a lot

no i mean when you pour it itll want to run out of any holes or gaps

Sponsored Links
no i mean when you pour it itll want to run out of any holes or gaps

Ah sorry, totally misunderstood! Yeah for the most part, just got some areas to foam around the insulation upstands (it's a concrete floor, so hasn't got far to go )

i use a 20” plasterers trowel to perfect any dodgy areas as i go.

I managed 3 bags together in a dustbin. Dont forget that with the water the volume is a lot more, when mixing it was right near the top. An electric paddle mixer was essential!

I managed 3 bags together in a dustbin. Dont forget that with the water the volume is a lot more, when mixing it was right near the top. An electric paddle mixer was essential!

Solid shout on the paddle mixer - I see Screwfix do a cheapie for £60 which has gotta be worth it! Don't suppose you know how big the bin was - I was thinking to mix 4 bags in a 75L tub?

Sorry I can't remember how big it was, but I just remember being surprised by how much volume it all took up, was initially hoping to get way more packs in. I had all the water ready in buckets and the packs open ready anyway so just added each water and pack until it was full. Also used the cheap screwfix mixer which was great!

Mix one unit with granno chips. It will save you money on screed that’s way.
If you can get a cheap latex like bostik ultimate and 1/2 bag granno you can build it up higher.

Solid shout on the paddle mixer - I see Screwfix do a cheapie for £60 which has gotta be worth it!

You can get a paddle mixing bit a lot cheaper, just use an adapter chuck in a slow speed SDS drill on rotary-only.
I thikn it really helps to have one person on mixing and one person on laying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back