How much should a 3 port valve turn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the valve (Honeywell V4073A) in our heating system is knackered. The lever on the head gets stuck, and having taken the head off, I find that the valve has only about 10 degrees of turn.

Would this indicate the thing has had it? It's been in for probably a decade (maybe more). Also, I'd be grateful if someone could confirm how much turn you would expect in a normal working valve?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it is not uncommon for spindles to seize on diverter valves suggest fitting a new one

According to Honeywell, the valve will turn about 10-15°. If the valve is sticking, remove the actuator and apply a little WD40 or similar to the spindle.

Sticking is usually due to the 'O' ring seal swelling up. You can get repair kits consisting of a new ball and 'O' rings - part no 272752A/U, cost about £5. You will have to drain down to replace them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not a plumber, so don't really want to start taking it to bits. The radiators did get slightly warm last summer, and turning on the heating killed it I think. The head doesn't mate well with the body so I think it's deffinitely time for a new valve as it's going to have to be drained down anyway to do the kit. I'll give the plumber a call on Monday.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back