how much weight can my upstairs take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had a double jacuzzi installed upstairs i estimate that it weighs around 100kg empty and again estimate it holds about 90-100 gallon of water then 2 people 100-120kg
my house is a new build built about 6-7 years ago
the joists under the floor boards are 8"deep x2"wide about 10" apart the room is 12 ft x 12 ft and the bath is up the corner against outside walls
i have also put some plates under the feet of the bath to stop them going through the floor boards
i got a local plumber to install it for me but i am worried the thing will come through the ceiling, it has been used when full several times and all seems ok but i cant help worring when sitting in it
can any one help
thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to imagine a party with 20 people in a room at a party/gathering weighing perhaps 1.5 to 1.7 tonnes would that bother you !!!
you are talking less weight at the walls ;)

Floor would have been designed to take about 150kg per square meter..
So depending on the size of the jacuzzi.. but normally the joists under any bath etc would be doubled up to allow for the extra weight..

So full with 2 people in your looking at 100+380+120=600kg.. hope the jacuzzi is 2mx2m..

Sponsored Links
I have changed my back bedroom into a bathroom and vise versa but the joist in the original bathroom were not doubled up although it was a smaller floor space, I would say the volume of the jacuzzi is about the same size as two bath tubs together and these new houses have nothing to them studded walls etc
thanks for your thoughts and advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back