How much weight the floor can hold up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that the UK regulation requires 153kg/m2 for the floor to take. I'm looking to get some new furnitures for the first floor rooms and noticed, for example a wardrobe 128Wx65Dx200H in size is 130kg, that works out over the floor's strenghth already when it's empty!
Do peopel generally consider the weight distrubution when loading furnitures etc on to the first floor or am I over thinking? Sorry not a DIY question but any advices would be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
I guess so long as you don't fill the room with wardrobes you'll be OK. The 130kg weight of the wardrobe will be spread along the joists.

I've never thought about weight of furniture and so far, touch wood, never had a floor collapse!

As long as the heavy stuff is at the edge of the room with lighter stuff towards the middle, I've seen a LOT of weight in rooms using this approach and never seen any real problems.

The worst I saw was a 1725cc engine, gearbox and two rear doors from a Humber Sceptre in an alcove, along with stacks and stacks of vintage 'Practical Householder' magazines around the edge. Room didn't bounce when walking.

The worst I saw was a 1725cc engine, gearbox and two rear doors from a Humber Sceptre in an alcove, along with stacks and stacks of vintage 'Practical Householder' magazines around the edge. Room didn't bounce when walking.
I'm not surprised - it was probably too exhausted to do anything of the kind

Sponsored Links
It's measured over the total floor rea and is an avearge worked out over the years as a reasonable level for loading in domestic rooms, allowing for a factor of safety.
You will be OK with a heavy wardrobe, d/table/ chest of drawers/bed etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back