How not to connect an earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Went see someone for the weekend and while I was there it was mentioned their washing machine was on the blink. I asked what was up and was told when the repair bloke turned up and did tests one issue was it wasn't earthed.

To be fair on him he left a job sheet advising the socket not be used the washer was connected to but the washer is now ok.

Turns out the washer is under the worktop plugged into a switched socket, fed as a spur from what was the cooker switch. I had some kit with me so I took the socket off under the worktop, the live fell out and there was no earth continuity and then there was.

Looking at there was earth tape wrapped round the earth so I unwrapped it and found someone had extended the earth by using another piece of copper wire and looping them together like a chain link !

I removed it, got a bit more length on the actual cable by pulling some slack up and connected it properly with earth sleeve too. Reconnected washer, all good and good earth to appliance.

Not the worst I ever saw but still...

The house was once owned by a builder...I also found a socket in the lounge had live and neutral swapped.

View media item 90795

Sponsored Links
Yes, sadly very common :shock shoddy bodged work, just lucky the washing machine packed up or you would never have know!

Regards,

ds

Thanks. I just like stuff to be right and most of all safe !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back