How on earth do you fit / remove these b*****y things?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone identify these fittings for the radiator end panels and how do they work?
Do they pull off, Twist off or do you need a tool to remove them.
They are driving me mad can't seem to get them off or on easily to decorate.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
They usually clip on the port of the rad, failing that, you may have to fit the end panel, then put the plastic insert in.

Reactions: CBW
is it to get them off the panels or to position them so the panels come off the rad?

They are twist clips. They fit over the tapping of the rad then twist so the open end points upwards, that locks the end panel onto the rad, when removing the panel you twist them again so the open end points down so the panel can be pushed up and unclipped.

They just unclip off the panel. Use a pair of long nosed pliers to push the clips in and pop it off.

Reactions: CBW
Problem is even with them twisted round, (and that's no easy task) so the open end of the U is pointing down they still won't pull up over the pipe!
The diameter is too big for the opening to pass over the radiator pipe.
I can't pull them out as they foul on the thermostatic valve.
I've got them off with a lot of cursing and huffing and puffiing and brute force.

Sponsored Links
Devil's spawn, and often the rad heat makes them brittle. As above, try turning/squeezing them from behind to push them out.

Stelrad fixings - make sure the open end of the clip is facing down, top and bottom, the end panel then pushes up and then out at the bottom and pulls off from the top panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back