Radiator Cover Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator covers to which I refer are those steel decorative covers which attach to domestic Steel radiators to make them look better.
The usual method is to slide the end covers vertically which enables the end covers to slide off the Bleed valve and the blank plug at the opposite end of the radiator thus allowing the grill top to lift off.
There are many demonstrations of this procedure on You Tube. All of these demonstrations have an oval elongated slot in the end panel at the bleed valve location. That oval slot allows the end panel to lift clear of the bleed valve housing.
In my case the end panel hole for the Bleed valve is circular and as such does not allow the end cover to lift sufficiently to remove the end panel clear of the radiator.
I can't therefore remove the radiator panels for decorating purposes.
There must be some hidden release mechanism somewhere to allow the removal of the end panel, but I can't locate anything which will allow its removal.
Can any one advise me.

Sponsored Links
Hi dilalio.
Does this image help

20210307_200316.jpg

Attachments

• 20210307_200316.jpg
    20210307_200316.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
Hi Mottie
I thought the same myself. So tried to pull out the plastic insert. it wouldn't budge. (See the image sent to dalalio)
Not knowing what is holding the plastic annular insert in place, I was very wary of forcing it as it may have been located with a sort of ratchet clip arrangement that I forced it would just snap. That maybe what I have to do but I have no idea if I could purchase a replacement.

Well, there’s a space at the bottom of the plastic insert so I’d assume they pull up a little and then swing out.

Hi dilalio.
Does this image help

View attachment 225676

The plastic collet spins around 360°
IIRC it supposed to be 180° from its current position to stop the panel being pulled up.
Spray it with some furniture polish (which has silicone in it) and the side panel should just slide upwards. If it's old it will be brittle so polish should help it slide from around rad tapping (like a circlip).

If I remember those fitting properly, I believe the top of the panel just pulls towards you, it pops off the tapping and then it's pulled up and out.

The trouble is, as mentioned, that after time they go brittle and tend to collapse when you try to pull it off.

If I remember those fitting properly, I believe the top of the panel just pulls towards you, it pops off the tapping and then it's pulled up and out.

The trouble is, as mentioned, that after time they go brittle and tend to collapse when you try to pull it off.

Just to add... Up a little, to get the collet off the tapping, then tilt away from rad, then fully up and away from bottom tapping.

Hi dilalio, You are right, normal position is with the collet 180' rotated from that indicated in the picture, that is why I rotated it to the shown position. The problem is when lifting the end panel up, there is no enough movement to allow the collet to taken off the Bleed valve body. The You tube clips show that the hole in the radiator end cover is oval so as to allow the end panel to lift a further centimetre which then allows the plastic collet to clear the Bleed Valve. The arrangement as pictured just does not allow the end panel to lift enough. I am missing something that may be staring me in the face, but the assembly must have been put together in the first place but I can't work that out either.
Maybe Madras has the answer but to just pull is off may give me more problems that it is worth. I will try and locate a replacement collet before Itake the bull by the horns and rive it off. Gently trying that approach of pulling it off, gives the impression that some thing will break if I continue.
Thanks all for you advice.

When the end panel are removed the clips spin and move about freely in the panel. They have that play in them so they spread apart over the tapping when moved up/slowly pulled off. The trouble is as they get older they go brittle and don't flex without cracking or breaking up when being pulled off.

They were fine when new as they are soft enough and pull off easily, not so once they have aged and been through countless heat cycles.

Hi Madrab, I think you are right in that they may pull off, it all depends on the profile of the bleed valve body. Your suggestion also good along with how the assembly was put together initially when new. I have not seen anywhere if replacement plastic clips are available if they do break when forcing them off the valve body.
Thanks so much for your, dilalio and Mottie's comments. I think the solution is that they pull off and probably break in the process. Thanks again.

Hi Ian, Agreed, but the gaping hole is rather unsightly, hence the collet in the first place.
My real concern though was, as I am not aware and can't determine the design of then 'Bits', pulling the cover off may have caused irreparable damage to the vital parts of the radiator accessories.

Not often I disagree with Ian but I don't believe those ones are just aesthetic. Those older ones physically clip over the radiator tapping and hold the side panels firmly onto the radiator and stops them rattling about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back