How on earth...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
c07ccdb77f.jpeg
Do I access the cistern here?

The two studs you can see on top are screws but they cover two tiles and the whole lot is sealed / grouted / mastic'ed together

The reason being the loo is constantly allowing water to trickle through

No sign of easy access anywhere

Any ideas that save me dismantling my bathroom appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Purely a guess, but maybe those grout lines are very thin.....
Consider using a Stanley knife to slice through the grout at the edges of those screws? Maybe there is a 'soft' panel there which isn't stuck down. The same applies to the beading on the front and the grout at the back.
Its easy enough to make things good again.
John :)

Thanks John

Was my line of thinking too. It's very hollow sounding.

Just thought I'd throw it out to you guys before getting the Stanley knife out!

Sponsored Links
You're lucky, looks like the tiler has made allowances for the future where someone may need to get in there to service the loo and therefore left an access.

Had to knock through all the tiles on a bath panel the other day because the tiler hadn't left any access and the panel had been screwed to batons on the floor. Of course, no spare tiles had been left, poor customer, she was rather annoyed.

Might be worth checking the room behind the wall. Just in case there is access via a panel in the back of a fitted cupboard.

Just a quick update, I chiselled out the grout around those tiles and there was access to the cistern from above.

The mechanism in the cistern wasn't returning all the way to the top because of limescale I think. So water continued to flow in and eventually down the loo. It was caked in scale which just came off in sheets. Problem stopped as soon as i cleaned it up.

I'm glad because if it had needed fixing it would have been tricky.

Just have to re grout now. Few little dings here and there on the tiles which I'm annoyed about, can only blame myself really should have been even more careful than I was.

Going to leave it a few days to grout to ensure the problem is fixed.

You're lucky, looks like the tiler has made allowances for the future where someone may need to get in there to service the loo and therefore left an access.

Had to knock through all the tiles on a bath panel the other day because the tiler hadn't left any access and the panel had been screwed to batons on the floor. Of course, no spare tiles had been left, poor customer, she was rather annoyed.

I'm in the same boat with my bath, lord knows how you'd access the taps.

Same person who boxed in this cistern so hopefully they've thought about it but there's no obvious access!

I'd be inclined to re-fit it with white silicone rather than grout (or even leave it unsealed) ready for next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back