How sensitive are fire alarm systems to cigarette smoke?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new fire alarm system has been installed in the communal areas of our block of flats. Can smoking in the properties most of which are now rented set off the alarm?

Sponsored Links
As those should be non smoking places then no.

Now back in the real world, not really.
Nothing in the flats I assume, so probably smoke detectors in the communal areas. Again not really or we would have had issues for years with this. There has to be a certain concentration of smoke to activate the detectors. In a confined space the answer might well be different, in communal s with most likely drafts not really.

Especially if there are just call points ( done on the cheap).

That's good to know. There is one tenant in the building who smokes a lot. I think his landlord has at some point put a smoke detector in the flat because it used to go off regularly. I haven't heard it in the last couple of months, but the stench of smoke is still appalling. I wonder if the tenant has taken the battery out of the detector. It seems odd that our building has installed a comprehensive fire alarm system in the communal parts when the greater risk is in the flats themselves. Is smoking a major reason for house fires?

One of them, even my best man at my wedding died that way. Fell asleep with a cigarette....................

Here are some grades of fire detection.

LD1 - A system installed throughout the dwelling, incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling, and in all rooms and areas in which fire might start, other than toilets, bathrooms and shower rooms
LD2 - A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling, and in all rooms or areas that present a high risk of fire
LD3 - A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling

It is noted that an LD3 type system is intended to protect escape routes for those not directly involved in the fire and may not save the life of anyone in the immediate vicinity of the fire.

Yours sounds like LD3

Sponsored Links
I believe the communal fire alarm system installed is LD2. It really worries me that my flat which is above the one with the tenant who smokes likes a chimney could be at risk. Fingers crossed the fire alarm will do its job in the event of a fire. It's a shame the law can't be extended to include a ban on smoking in homes. Some might say that would be an infringement of personal liberty but it's a bit more than an inconvenience to the tenant's landlord whose flat could burn down or indeed the surrounding homes and occupants who are put at risk if someone is careless with a cigarette.

Many rented properties are now deemed as non-smoking, perhaps a look at the leases?

Many rented properties are now deemed as non-smoking, perhaps a look at the leases?
A condition that is hard for the landlord / agent to enforce.

In answer to the original question..... some smoke alarms will react to small quantities of cigarette smoke.

Then tenant's contract does prohibit smoking as does the agreements for all the other tenants in the building. I have thought about approaching the tenant but I feel it's difficult to tell someone what to do in their own home (although the flat is the property of someone else). I may put up a polite sign that smoking is forbidden anywhere in the building but if that fails, I'll just have to raise the matter with the landlord.

I will speak to the manufacturer of the smoke detectors to find out just how sensitive their devices are.

Does the smoking tenant work from home or is a self employed person ? If so then there is slight possibility of being able to enforce a no smoking condition on the tenant as the flat is his work place and it is illegal to smoke in the workplace.

He goes out at 9am and returns around 6.30pm. It's more than likely that he's not self employed.

In central London, there is a high turnover of tenants. The average tenancy is about 1 year before the tenant then moves on. This one moved in 6 months ago. Hopefully, he will clear off in a few months time.

By the way, I installed an ioniser in my property which effectively removes most of the stench which filters up through my wood floor.

A condition that is hard for the landlord / agent to enforce.

In answer to the original question..... some smoke alarms will react to small quantities of cigarette smoke.

True but a correctly installed one should not be affected especially in the communal area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back