How serious is a split purlin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of purchasing my first house but an inspection has revealed that the rear purlin within the roof space has split badly, and additional bracing/support may be required.

Is this potentially a big and/or expensive job? I was hoping it may be a case of some strap metal but am no expert. Do I have to do some negotiating with the vendor over this??

Cheers in advance for any wisdom imparted.

Sponsored Links
Some pics would be helpful...

Also how badly has it split.. if the split is over the whole length then strapping may not even be an options..

Hi

I'm in the process of purchasing my first house but an inspection has revealed that the rear purlin within the roof space has split badly, and additional bracing/support may be required.

Is this potentially a big and/or expensive job? I was hoping it may be a case of some strap metal but am no expert. Do I have to do some negotiating with the vendor over this??

If it were me, I'd try to get 2 or 3 independent quotes from reputable companies, who will be able to advise on the most cost effective repair by seeing it for themselves.

Armed with this information, negotiation with the current owners is quite acceptable and normal.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if he is going to come back with some pics?

Hi

If it were me, I'd try to get 2 or 3 independent quotes from reputable companies, who will be able to advise on the most cost effective repair by seeing it for themselves.

Armed with this information, negotiation with the current owners is quite acceptable and normal.
Me personally i wont do free estimates if someone is wanting it for a property they are thinking of buying.I will supply a roof survey for £60.Tbh i think he would struggle to even get 3 estimates as many people just will not do free estimates in such circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back