How should I fix insulation boards between rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a very large loft space that I've floored out and have cut 70mm celotex to fit between the rafters, with 50mm breathing space (we also have new breathable felt).

At first I thought the boards would just stay in place, but I guess the drop in temperature is affecting the wooden rafters and the boards have started falling out.

What's the best way to fix them in place? I see Celotex do some tape (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...Insulation+Tape+48mm+x+50m/d210/sd2738/p32233) but I'm not sure if this is any different from the Aluminium tape I got from Screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-aluminium-foil-tape-silver-72mm-x-45m/50629) which is a bit wider. I also tried putting some screws in which works but probably better to seal any small gaps too.

Does it really matter what tape? Could I just use duct tape instead?

Sponsored Links
Do you intend lining the underside of the rafters (eg with plasterboard)?
If so, the boarding will hold the panels in place, so the tape would only need to be a temp. fix.

Do you intend lining the underside of the rafters (eg with plasterboard)?

Good point. Eventually we will plasterboard it, but it may stay as it is for a few years, until we have the money to finish it into a living space. So really I need a solution that is fairly robust, as it will need to stay in place for a good while before the plasterboard is added.

There are special plastic insulation clips that go in the side of the celotex then you can screw it into the rafters.

Sponsored Links
You'd have been better fixing the plasterboard up instead of wasting money on clips. So you are going to look at a load of insulation board for years? :rolleyes:

You'd have been better fixing the plasterboard up instead of wasting money on clips. So you are going to look at a load of insulation board for years? :rolleyes:

It is a very large space and eventually will be divided into 2 rooms and a hallway. So I can't really add the plasterboard before I put in all the internal walls. Yes I know I could do that too, but I have to stop somewhere and the money has run out! Plus I want another layer of insulation eventually.

For the next few years I will use it for storage and maybe put a ping pong table in there :)

Plus, I kind of like the look of insulation boards in a strange way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back