How soon do soldered copper joints fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just done my first ever soldered copper joint!

It seems to have taken, and not leak so far. This was in 15mm cold supply, cutting off the end of an old (redundant) feed and capping it with a drain thingy.

If it's going to leak, does it lead straight away? Or am I safe to assume that if it's ok now then it's ok for ever.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
ok...how long is a peice of string.....yes, it will have leaked by now (assuming it's under water pressure) and yes, as long as it's flux free it should last many years....but without knowing your skill levels or seeing the joint i can only guess. So, i reckon your safe.......but don't ask for a 'years' figure....

At the end of the day if:

Copper and fittings were clean (wire wool on copper)
Flux was applied to pipe
You can see a silver ring all the way around (use inspection mirror)
It does not leak when water is on
You have cleaned off excess flux after finishing with clean cloth
Water is on and nothing is leaking

Then relax :)

In my reasonably limited experience I think you know before the water goes on if there might be a problem and if you have any kind of bad feeling then you have probably ignored little warning signs (e.g. convinced yourself that you can fit a 22mm coupler to an imperial pipe as it's surely close enough... or you kept whacking lots of solder on even though you could hear water bubbling away in the pipe thinking that the solder will surely get in the gap somehow).

My skill level is that this is my first one ever <g>!

It was an old water supply pipe that used to stick up through the kitchen floor, supplying, I assume, a washing machine in days gone by. But it was stopping me getting on with the floor.

It was in an awkward spot, under ground floor, about 3 feet clearance, but ALL the services are in that corner, so had to spend time moving and pinning wires so that I didn't burn them.

So I shut off, worked out where I was going to cut it, then gave the old pipe a thorough clean, coarse sandpaper, fine ditton, wire wool. On the basis that it would be a lot easier to clean before I make the cut.

Then used a pipe cutter to cut. Some water came out, and never completely stopped. Used 15mm wire brush on inside of fitting, wire wool on outside of drian tap. Dried with towels, put on clean rubber gloves to handle fittings, brushed thin smear of flux (people say don't use too much).

So tried to do it as clean as possible, which is what everybody says is important.

Put them together and burned. Only thing is, while I was doing some steam came out, as there was still a small amount of water in the system and drop by drop it seemed to be coming this way.

Saw the thin ring of solder appear (solder ring fitting) and stopped. There haven't been any blobs of solder dropping so I assume it's all in there. And when I filled up I left the drain thing open for a bit, so there wasn't air trapped in it.

Is it worth running water through it to wash out any spare flux?

Also, is there any difference in the quality of copper pipe/fittings? If so, what's the best make to go for.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your biggest problems would be water, and (patchy) overheating due to the water being there.
You might find you only have solder on the end surface of the fitting, so all you have is the visible ring.
If that's the case they can be "ok" for 50 years or 5 minutes, until they decide to break.

SOunds dodgy to me.

Mmmm.

Not sure I really fancy remaking the joint. But if I do....

....would this work?

Heat it up and pull the connector and drain off. Clean the end of the pipe again. Wait a lot longer so every last drop of water is out. Heat it (gently) to dry off water inside. Redo with new drain and connector.

Reason I don't want to cut the pipe again is that the place I cut it was about the only spot the pipe cutter would go all the way round.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll monitor for the next few weeks, it's in a spot where I/others will be doing a lot of work. If it doesn't leak I think I'll leave it. After all, this is a house where the plastic service main is connected to the house 15mm copper with a compression joint.

I don't suppose they often fail completely, in the sense of the whole fitting shooting off the end of the pipe, and even that wouldn't do a lot of damage. It's underfloor, pointing away from other services. And it might drown the mice, as they seem to ignore the traps!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back