How straight/plumb do windows need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
having new upvc double glazed windows installed by a guy who is doing other bits on the house, before I hired him he said he was confident and had done windows before and nothing for me to worry about. I purchased the windows myself and just hired him to fit them along with other stuff on the house

So the upstairs ones have gone in and I had a quick look with a level, some of the are out, please see images below. Is this within acceptable tolerance and am I being too fussy? He broke one of the glass's too which got me concerned, as well as mixing up a couple of the windows before working out which were for where. He is also booked in for fitting my composite door and french doors but im thinking twice now.

These are from a couple of the upstairs windows, most are ok, some are like this:

ZHEeTj0.jpg

LQrtD2Z.jpg

psA60xL.jpg

QntQXmg.jpg

Some of the frames on the inside are out by a few mm as well. I mean I am not too worried about it and don't want to upset him by questioning him - unless it will give me issues in the future. The only other thing I have noticed is that the handles feel stiff but I think the mechanism's just need oiling.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
there is no need to check for level when fitting windows.

If your fitter installed them into prepared openings, or replacing existing then the level/out of level is pre determined. The only important aspect of being level is whether the windows look correct from outside, if you have brick facework then the windows want to be parallell to the brick course.

What is important is that when the windows were wedged in place, the sashes were fitted and tested to make sure the frame was properly square.

It is even more important with doors, dont set frame in with a spirit level, put frame in place, wedge up, fit in door adjust frame for nice even gaps and frame not in wind, then screw frame in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back