New windows - buyers guide or tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I find myself needing to buy some new (UPVC) windows for the first time ever. House is a plain 1960s detached, and has 1980s double-glazed aluminium windows, with a hardwood frame and internal trim. Although they don't look trendy, they are in good condition for their age. Unfortunately, the amount of frame condensation is absolutely insane for about half of the year, so they need to go.

From browsing this forum, it seems that the advice is:

- to buy from a local business, rather than the nationals.

- each UPVC profile is pretty much the same, so worry about the fitting, not the product.

This worries me: my first house had cheap windows which were well fitted, and my second one has more expensive windows, but the fitting was terrible (draughts etc.). How do I know I'll get it right?!

Is there anything I should be asking when I'm getting quotes? I am trying to get a couple of local people round. I need 14 casement windows and a composite front door.

Cheers,
Richard.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back