Repair or replace windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have hardwood windows, but a number of the double glazed units are fogged and a couple of the casements need replacing as the previous owner had let ivy grow up.

I can get replacement casements made, and can get new glass units made. But are we better of replacing with UPVC?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
New sealed units are an easy and inexpensive fix. What do you think it costs, per unit, fitted?

Plastic windows are vile.

I've had several glazed units replaced in existing sashes for an average of about £50 each.

You need to contact a local "windows and patio doors repairman" (there is sure to be one) not a national glossy firm.

Sponsored Links
Units can blow for a number of reasons and you can find once one blows the next one isn't too far behind and then another and another. DGU's aren't really suited to wooden windows due to lack of water drainage and how they are fitted, to be fair I did once see drainage channels and escape slots routered in under the bottom bead but that was 1 window in 25 years in the trade and I've seen, replaced and repaired lots of windows and DGU's in that time, not saying its a reason not to never have wooden frames with DGU's but its something to bare in mind.

I'm a pvc guy, John is for timber, I say both have a place, not all people have the time or money to pay a decorator to stain or paint their south facing windows every two years, so opt for the wipe clean pvc and pvc has come a long way since how John remembers them, don't get me wrong you can still get the basic mitred/welded windows but these days you can get much much more if you want the timber look, not cheap but if your house deserves timber windows but you don't want the hassle of painting every two years then pvc is a no brainer, take a look at residence 7 or 9 and tell me thats not as close to the wood look you'll ever get, just stunning

Last edited:
We replace a lot of sealed units in wood, and as Crank says , they don't last nearly as long as in Upvc. Saying that though you should still get 8- 10 years out of them. Just remember NO sealed unit lasts forever!

As for Residence 7 and 9 , yes both fantastic upvc windows but pricey! A lot of other profiles are now manufacturing ' flush sash ' windows which look very similiar to wood and are cheaper to buy

As Ronnie says its not just R7 or 9, nearly all major extruders have a flush sash system with glued butt joints and prices vary

As an aside I was at my suppliers the other day chilling with a coffee and checking their new sample windows with glued butt joints, they tell me it takes 2 days to make a window due to the drying time of the glue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back