Damaged hardwood casement windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just bought a 1930 semi, it has hardwood casement windows fitted with double glazed units. Some of the units are shot I.e fogged up and a couple of the opening windows are rotten from lack of maintenance. Can I just get new units and replacement window parts? And treating the wood to a coat of wood seal. Or am I better looking at double glazed windows?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Post some pics.
Yes you can but it will probably be a loosing battle. Double glazed units require properly designed windows to house them. Ventilation, Drainage and correct rebate coverage.
Without pics/seeing them we cant be sure but 99% of the timber windows fitted with double glazing in this country were never really designed for double glazing. If they are not made properly the glass units will never last long.
Some may last ten years some may break down in a year

Replacement sealed units are much cheaper than you think.

Ask around for a local DG repairman (there will be one)

I had a few windows reglazed for less than £50 each, and patio door for a few hundred.

If I'd known how cheap it was I would have had it done sooner.

You don't need a window replacement company or an oily salesman.

The glass panels are measured up and made to order, so funny sizes and thicknesses don't matter.

Plastic windows are horrible (so are plastic doors).

Sponsored Links
Here are a couple of pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 101

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back