1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How the hell do I insulate a concrete floor?

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by John2016, 29 Jan 2019.

1. John2016

John2016

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

My parents recently moved into a five year old house, where the ground floor is concrete with lino on top.

Now the ground floor area does get really cold in the winter, but I think that it because all of the heat from the radiators is taken away from the floor.

What method can I use to make the floor warner without needing to replace the skirting boards?

Thanks.

2. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One immediate fix might be to lift the carpets, lino, etc and lay cork flooring onto the concrete then relay the original flooring. If the floor is showing any signs of damp it would be advisable to coat the concrete with a layer of liquid DPM before you lay the cork. I laid cork flooring in my kitchen (stone flags with a cement render applied on top) and it has made a substantial difference - on cold mornings I can walk across it without the need for slippers these days

3. Sponsored Links
  4. John2016

John2016

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, never thought of cork.

How many mm this you use?

5. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It should have at least a 50-100mm polystyrene slab in the concrete, so its really about making it feel warmer rather than stopping heat loss.
    Apart from the above and carpet, you also have the option of thermal underlay under a laminate or wood floor.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ours is about 8mm thick. It really isn't about making the floor warmer, but a bare foot standing on a piece of cork loses a lot less heat than a bare foot placed directly on a stone slab. Did some temperature checks with a cheapo (LiDL) IR temperature sensor (top of our cellar steps in the kitchen is still stone, no insulation) earlier this morning (outside ground temperature -3°C) and there was no difference in the actual surface temperature between the two (12.8°C). Either way the cork certainly feels warmer

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local