how thick are the basement walls, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am working in a house which has a basement under the back half of the house but the basement is also at ground level when you come out of it into the back garden becuase it is a very hilly area, hope that makes sense.

Anyway, probably a silly question but how thick are the walls likely to be backing onto the earth/ground in the basement as I need to fix heavy cabinets on the walls and do not want to pierce any membranes etc?

The house is about 1930's or possibly earlier and was built like this it seems as there are a few along the street like this. Also would they have any membrane or similar behind the walls touching the earth to stop damp etc if they are that age?

I assume they would have to have something for the damp.

What sort of bricks would they have used to build this wall, ie house bricks or concrete blocks or what else?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The brickwork looks like english bond so the wall is more than likely going to be a 9" solid. If you're talking about the smaller single storey building to the left, I can't tell what the the bond is from the pics - why don't you just measure the thickness of the door reveal? ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers hotrod so yes I could measure as you say in the basement from room to room but from that do I assume you mean the wall that backs on to the earth will be the same, i.e. obviously no door reveals in that section, just wall?

And what would they have done as damp protection back then?

Looks Edwardian and the basements were usually at least 13 inch. As hotrod said the bottom is English bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back