How to align strike plate with door latch

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I think it was the carpenter who put our doors up.)

Apologies if I am using the wrong terms here. I have realised that an internal door rattles because when closed, the latch bolt does not actually line up with the hole in the strike plate, and so most times just stays within the door (e.g. its possible to just push/pull the door open).

I hope the pictures make sense.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I suspect I need to take the strike plate off and make the hold hole bigger, but not sure how to do that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
start by checking the hinges to see that they are firmly screwed into positon and have not sagged. If so, refix so the door is in the right position.

Otherwise:

rub some lipstick on the latch, and close the door so it rubs off on the strike plate to show you where it needs to be. With a ruler or setsquare, draw this line onto the frame. Unscrew the plate.

See if the hole chiselled in the frame already has enough clearance. If not, use a sharp chisel to cut it larger (you can probably pare it away with hand pressure.)

hold the plate in its new position and pencil round it.

Use your chisel to indent along the pencil line (this is to avoid splintering) and shave away the surface inside the line so the plate will lie flat.

Drill new holes for the fixing screws

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back