How to attach ledger from party wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Following on from previous posts i am toying with the idea of a full on loft conversion rather than simply boarding out the loft.

Just doing research atm, but im running into the problem of how to secure the joists above the bedroom bay window.

The current ceiling joists rest on a piece of 8x2 spanning the width of the bedroom. According to the timber beam calculator this isnt up to scratch to support an actual floor. Not wanting to rip appart the bedroom to reinforce this i had the idea of a ledger the required size, in the loft, spanning the width of the bedroom, one end resting on an internal load bearing wall, the other attached to the party wall (yes i know i need a PWA) and then using joist hangers to attach the joists.

Question: how would the ledger be attached to the party wall? Ive read you are not allowed to build them into the wall anymore.

Disclaimer: building regs, structural engineer etc will be involved if i decide to go ahead.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
By ledger do you mean RSJ?

I set a padstone into the party wall and say it on that. The wall was 2 bricks thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back