How to attach staircase top to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a short (5 step) set of pre-built stairs that I need to fix to a Thermalite wall at the top. I'm not sure what the best method would be.

I was thinking of cutting a ledger to the same width as the gap between stringers, rawlbolting it to the wall, and resting the top tread onto it. Then add some large L brackets underneath, to connect the stringers to the ledger.

Would this be a sensible approach, or is there a better way?

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
The top of stairs normally connects to either a sistered joist or a timber trimmer. Without sone sort of pictuŕe it is difficult to say, but to me your proposal sounds iffy.

Rawlbolts into Thermalite? Not sure about that, especially at the top of a wall.

Connecting stairs to ledger with brackets? The underside of the stairs ideally should be notched out so that it sits on top of the ledger (with the last "step" being just nosing). The fix is then through the last riser into the face of the trimmer or joist (or ledger)

Where is the floor in all of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the vagueness.

The stairs are to connect to the doorway that's up in the air (I am aware of the regs and that this doesn't meet them). The other is an hatch to the sub-floor space.
This wall is Thermalite.

GarageSteps.jpg

The last step is just a nosing.

Thanks
Tim

Add legs to the stringers so the weight is carried down to the floor, you won't lose any usable space.

Sponsored Links
Add legs to the stringers so the weight is carried down to the floor, you won't lose any usable space.

Thanks. I'll do 2 legs, and screw them into the wall to keep it where it should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back