How to avoid outside tap pipe splitting in frost . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year the pipework leading down to our outside tap split in the heavy frost . . . this despite me turning off the water from inside the house and leaving the tap open during the winter.

I assume there was still some water remaining in the pipework. I would like to avoid the same happening again. Should I :

1. Turn the water off to the property
2. Turn on and drain the bathroom taps (the outside tap is fed from the bath)
3. Turn on and drain the outside tap.
4. Turn off the bathroom taps
5. Turn the water back on to the property.
6. Leave the outside tap open over winter.

Is this correct and will I have more chance of draining the pipework of water?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
water will only burst the pipe when it doesnt have anywhere to expand to, so i dont understand how it burst if the water was off and the tap open, as the residule water will simply expand inside the pipe then melt

I think that there was a significant amount of water left in the pipe. This froze from the outside going inwards. Because the outside froze first, the remaining water could not go down the pipe as it froze and this led to the pipe splitting.

When isolated the feed from the inside and then opened the tap outside, did any water come out? Unless air is allowed to enter the isolated pipe from the inside, the pipe will remain completely full of water - i.e. the water is being stopped from draining out.

I have a little screw on the feed to my tap (it was a "complete kit" from Homebase). I think it's called a check valve (could be wrong). When I isolate the feed and open the tap, I then open this valve, and the water trapped in the pipe pours out of the tap. So the pipe is empty for the winter.

That's my thoughts anyway. Might not be right!!

Last year the pipework leading down to our outside tap split in the heavy frost . . . this despite me turning off the water from inside the house and leaving the tap open during the winter.

Thanks for the reminder.

Possibly the tap is fed from below so that isolating it at the internal valve and opening the tap leaves water standing in the pipe. There should be a drain valve at the lowest point so all the water can be drained, or route the pipework to it from above.

Re-plumb it in plastic, it stretches and is less liable to split (but is not immune).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back