How to build a bed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve decided to build my own bed. I’ve slept in the same one for maybe 40 years, but now I need it to be a bit higher – I’m retired, bored, so have decided to try and replicate this one exactly, but maybe 6” higher. I’m pretty handy, but with experience of carpentry limited to putting shelves up etc, so I have two problems:

1. Does the wood used to build the existing bed appear to be of standard dimensions? It’s as follows:

1. 2¾” square

2. 5½” x ¾”

3. 8½” x ¾”

(Sorry to those who prefer Metric :eek: )

2. The cross-members at the head and foot of the bed are set into the legs, permanently (whereas the long side-pieces push in, then are secured with long screws). Do I need to buy something like a router to make the slots in the legs, or can I mark the shape out, drill lots of holes, then try and make it square (actually rectangular) with a chisel? And I assume the cross-members are glued in, as I can’t see any screws – what kind of glue is needed please?

Stop laughing at the back – hope somebody can advise me :D
20220201_112948.jpg
20220201_112959.jpg
20220201_113026.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you simply want it higher you can add to the legs.
If you want to copy take it apart and make each component to match , cut legs longer . The joints can be avoided by using heavy duty angle brackets , so all you need are a saw and screwdriver to assemble .

Last edited:
with the cost of timber at the moment, it may be worth getting an idea of how much its going to cost to re-make. rather than just modify the legs, even possible buying ready made or flat packed from places like IKEA

Sponsored Links
Why not just add some legs on to the one you have? And then go and make something more interesting. :)

Well... two reasons, I suppose: (1) how would I remove the legs, as they appear to be glued in place? (2) the new wood would be a very different colour, wouldn't it :confused:

If you simply want it higher you can add to the legs.
If you want to copy take it apart and make each component to match , cut legs longer . The joints can be avoided by using heavy duty angle brackets , so all you need are a saw and screwdriver to assemble .

Yes, I suppose the brackets are a thought...

You can add to the legs not remove, like extending a newel post . Very easy to dye to match existing .

Stop laughing at the back – hope somebody can advise me

Scratch building seems an awful lot of trouble to go to, unless you have all the tools necessary, the skills and a cheap source the the materials - when compared to the cost of the ready made items. If you must, then I would be looking to modify what you have and there are a few potential ways which spring to mind...

1. Drill up through the centre of items 1 (Forsener bit), to accept a section of thick walled steel gas pipe - around 4" deep into 1, then add a castor on the end, or similar. The drilling would have to be perfectly straight.

2. Replace legs 1 with new ones of the length you want. The glued joints can probably taken apart with a bit of 'persuasion', then reassembled after.

3. You could make up some spacer blocks from 5x5", drilling and chiselling a tight socket for 1 to drop into.

4. Buy a pile of cheap hardback books from a charity shop and split the pile into four equal piles.

Last edited:
all standard wood yard/timber merchant sizes [preworked size]

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know.

dont try diy sheds

NOOOOO I want straight bits :LOL:

Actually, inspired by the suggestions above, I remembered I had 4 shower pan supports in the garage, so have stuck them under the bed posts for now - at least that way I can see what it's like for a while before I decide to definitely go ahead :D

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know.

NOOOOO I want straight bits :LOL:

Actually, inspired by the suggestions above, I remembered I had 4 shower pan supports in the garage, so have stuck them under the bed posts for now - at least that way I can see what it's like for a while before I decide to definitely go ahead :D

A good sitting height works well, but it hurts much more when you turn over in the middle of the night and fall out of bed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back