How to build a shed foundation question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building a 12'x20' shed with 6"x6" skid foundation. I have a question on which direction the skids should go? I have seen most people run them the longer length of the building like 20' in my case. Can I run them the width of the shed which is 12'? I was thinking about running 3-4, 6"X6"x12' the width of the shed. Does it make a difference?

Sponsored Links
I think I would call them bearers. They should go in at right angle to the floor joists. Depending on the floor loading and the size of the floor joists should be not more then 4' apart. FWIW my floor joists are 9"-11" apart on concrete, so bearers should be on this pitch.
I googled your " skid foundations" and came up with loads of pics. This is NOT how I would do it :- http://www.frontierfreedom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=990&sid=165897af7c1b746336b6e2dfe14660a9
Frank

I think I would call them bearers. They should go in at right angle to the floor joists. Depending on the floor loading and the size of the floor joists should be not more then 4' apart. FWIW my floor joists are 9"-11" apart on concrete, so bearers should be on this pitch.
I googled your " skid foundations" and came up with loads of pics. This is NOT how I would do it :- http://www.frontierfreedom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=990&sid=165897af7c1b746336b6e2dfe14660a9
Frank

I agree with Frank,

it will just add more instability to your shed (and height).. just place the joists on padstones - that is the most common way in the UK

Sponsored Links
That is a very nice shed (y)

However that is not how we do the base,
1 we do not like wood in contact with earth - even treated it will not last long
2 it raises the shed considerably

what I would do
instead of these 6*6 beams on which he lays the frame

use pad stones on every corner and every 6 feet. lay your frame on that - goes a whole lot faster and cheaper. and under the wood which is in contact with the pad stone put a piece of slate or doc

Or do what i did, put a full concrete base down of 100mm

Untitled by Chris, on Flickr

url
Here you go

Pad-stones by Chris, on Flickr

Thanks for the picture. I have searched for pad stones at the home depot and Lowes sites but nothing comes up. Any idea where these can be purchased?

Oh, yes

those on the picture are fancy ones, we use simple 600mm square paving slabs (or 400mm) on a bed of wet cement which is set on a bed of type 1 hardcore

How many do you think I should use on a 20'x12' foundation?
Also is there anyway to secure the foundation to the ground when using these? Mainly for for high winds?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back