How to build monkey bar frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to build a monkey bar frame for my friends kids.

Here is the design:

Monkey bars_0.jpg

Basically just wondering if my design is strong enough. Although the 4 inch posts are buried 600mm in the ground with postcrete. I figure if fence posts can work loose then surely with kids swinging on it, it might start to work the posts loose over time and get some lateral movement without the proper restraint. The kids are only young, but even so.

Currently I've just got the horizontal and vertical posts butt jointed, tied together with Timberloks as circled in the image, but not sure this will resist lateral movement. Trying to avoid diagonal braces, and a lot of the designs online don't seem to use them.

Could I get away with a bridle joint in each corner, or is it strong enough as is?

Sponsored Links
You normally put a third of the post above ground into the ground

So in your case you have 2.4m above ground so you should have 800 mm below ground

Bridle joints won't hurt for your peace of mind

Certainly a solid set of monkey bars!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back