How to calculate maximum switchable load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a PIR to turn on a fan and 5 recessed lights.

It says the maximum switchable load is as follows:

2016-04-02 16_14_43-SLFM360L.pdf ‎- Microsoft Edge.png

Are these limits meant to be added together, or individual restrictions for the circuit?

How much "slack" are in these figures usually?

My fan is 77W, and each lamp is 6.5W. Will this work? What would likely happen if this "failed"? Fire / Explosion / Darkness? :)

Sponsored Links
If the maximum it can switch is 75W for a fan then I don't suppose 77W will make much difference but it won't be suitable for the lights as well.

As the only rating given is half your first example, the other types would presumably be halved as well so unlikely.

There may be more details supplied with the item.

You could have it switch the lights and a relay for the fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, you mean for example a fan with a delay that comes on 2 mins after the switch is triggered?

500W fluorescent not suitable for discharge lighting but a fluorescent tube is discharge lighting. I would guess it is looking at the time it takes for high bay lights to fire up, you would not what them to switch off before they got going.

The problem is with the back EMF when switching magnetic equipment and since you don't really know what that is then it is always going to involve some guess work and the spec is at best a guide. Frequency is important where the work force arrives at 9 and leaves a 5 then in real terms it only switches twice a day. But in a corridor or toilet it may be triggered many times a day.

Having a PIR work a relay may be harder than simply fitting two PIR's and with a room like a toilet the idea of setting the delay time for fan longer than for the lights would make some sense.

500/110 = 4.something and 1200/240 = 4.something so it seems likely it has a 5A relay built in. PIR's with relays are easier to work with than those with solid state switching so I would select one with a relay.

You should assume that all switching devices should be derated for inductive loads such as fans.

The derating from 2400W to 75W seems surprisingly large, to me. See if you can find others with detailed datasheets.

If using a different fan is an option, you may be able to get a lower power one.

What's the most likely result if I exceed the load on the PIR? Is it dangerous?

Please could you explain why the fan "downrates" 2400W to just 75W? What is happening here?

I could try to explain, but it is probably more effective to google for "switching inductive loads"; you might find a good explanation with pictures.

Basically, an inductor (such as the winding of a motor) stores energy in the form of magnetic flux. When you remove the power, that energy goes somewhere. That might take the form of a spark or arc across the contacts of the switch in the relay in the PIR. That spark will eventually erode the contacts so that they don't work reliably. Or, it may cause the contacts to weld together.

The likely failure mode is localised melting / burning, but prpbably not an actual fire that escapes from the device. But only eventually - it will probably work fine for ages before failing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back