How to chop down conifers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

First post from me. :D

We are chopping down eight nasty conifers in our garden on Friday. We have a chainsaw hired and I was just looking for a bit of advice from anyone as to how is the best way to approach it.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
if you've hired a chainsaw and have no idea where to start with tackling the trees then you could well be an accident waiting to happen. You would be far better getting in a local tree surgeon who can do it quickly and safely and remove all the rubbish for you.

don't mean to be condescending, but they are dangerous tools even with the right kit, experience and knowledge of how to use them and safely fell a tree, whatever its size.

Hi, have a search through the older posts, there have been numerous posts about removing conifers and small trees... like tying them to your car bumper ;)

but seriously have a look round

Sponsored Links
I'd definately do as thermo said. I never borrow out my chainsaws even to family. Also, there might not look much to to get rid of when the conifers are standing, just wait till they are on the ground.

8:30 this morning...

P1010276.jpg

and about half an hour ago...

P1010283.jpg

There were three rows of around 100+ ft of these awful things giving a hedge of about 15 feet in depth. At a guess there were 150 to 200 aliens. Two blokes, working hard, logs cut and kept, branches shredded and taken away, stumps ground out for £800 (trees) plus £300 (stumps) plus the annoying VAT. I'm glad to see the back of them.

(The brick piers are the old oil tank support, no wonder it rusted away.)

Hello!

First post from me. :D

We are chopping down eight nasty conifers in our garden on Friday. We have a chainsaw hired and I was just looking for a bit of advice from anyone as to how is the best way to approach it.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

chopping down, ok we know you mean sawing them ;)

What size are they?

I had a chain saw to cut logs up, that was using it at ground level, I wouldnt risk it up a tree.
I have cut quite large trees down using tree saw, its about getting up the tree cutting the branches & making it fall where you want it.
You can cut it down in sections, dose depend on its height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back