How to cover small hairline cracks in walls and ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room in the house we've just moved into that has small cracks all over the walls and ceilings. Most of them are very fine, but they extend across the top and down the walls

I don't have experience repairing cracks in the ceiling. I would like to know the best way to cover the cracks. Can someone advise?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Nothing special - just the same as you would fill cracks in walls. If there cracks are quite small then a fine surface filler would be best. Off the shelf ready mixed will do.

There's a paint called "Polycell Crack-Free Ceilings". Interested to know if anyone has any experience of this.

It doesn't mention use on walls at all. I wonder why not though. Wouldn't it do the same job for hairline cracks in wall plaster?

Sponsored Links
I have used the paint in a bedroom riddled with hairline cracks on ceiling and walls. Mixed success really, some reappeared, some didn't, tho to be fair our bedroom moves a lot and it's old (Victorian).
I'd say if you have that many cracks, perhaps it's worth a try? Perhaps dig out & fill the ones that may reappear. I would suggest tho not to use a paintbrush, even tho it says it's fine for brush or roller - it's not. It's so thick, as you'd expect, it shows every brush stroke. I tried to feather it off lightly without much success. Prob my painting skills tho! It also creates a little bit of a sheen, so if you do use it, worth while getting some good quality emulsion to go over the paint, at least 2 coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back