How to cut iron pipe - inch diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have some leftover old pipework sticking through my ceiling - I've tried cutting the end off using a hacksaw (so I can tuck the rest up and patch up the ceiling afterwards) but the hacksaw isn't proving too effective ! It kind of made a slight groove, and I think it would take about 4 hours more to get through !!

Any advice on how to get through this ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
4hrs to cut a 1" metal pipe !!! Try a new hacksaw blade !

Can you go in to the loft so that you can trace it back and then unscrew it at the next union along?

It's in the kitchen so the rest of the pipe (and it feels like it's quite long) is under the floorboards.
Do I need a special hacksaw blade ?

Sponsored Links
Is it right up against a wall or something? A reasonable hacksaw should go through relatively easily. It will appear slow at first as you go through the wall, then get much faster.

As denso says, and angle grinder with a think cutting disc is the way to go - ScrewFix etc will sell you one for £20 - don't forget some goggles and have a think about whether sparks are going to land on your worktops/floor and make little sparky melt holes.

It's up against the ceiling so it's blooming awkward - by "special" blade I wondered if there might be a tougher blade material.
Hmmmm angle grinder maybe .. if all else fails ... don't own one yet ...

Most decent hacksaws have a facility to hold the blade at a 45 degree angle - that could be your answer too because it keeps your knuckles off the wall/ceiling.

is it definitely Iron pipe ? a hacksaw should see that off easily enough, it doesn't look like chrome pipe by any chance does it ?

If it's sticking through the ceiling with the rest under the floorboards there must be a 90 degree bend there you can unscrew it from........................................

Most commonly sold hacksaw blades are cheap Chinese ones and will not be very good at cutting.

Eclipse if genuine will probably be reasonably OK. Used to be made in Sheffield. But I think that Sheffield is not in China!

I would also say buy an angle grinder and don't waste your time with the hacksaw.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back