How to deal with change in joist size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got to the junction where the extension (8"x2"joists) meets the original house (4"x2" joists) and I have a little section approximately 1.2m x 1.2m.

I am thinking of bolting some new 4x2's to the originals and flying them in to the 8" ledger board you can see in the photo which is the start of the new works.

Are joist hangers neceserry or can I bolt a 4x2 to the ledger board and sit the joists on top?

This section of floor is in the hallway so will only take foot traffic. As the original ground floor is in 4x2 I assume this small span will also be fine.

20220827_152502.jpg
20220827_102034.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes. Extension joists set out to be level with existing.

Yeah they'll be fine sat on top of another timber as you've suggested
Don't really need to bolt the new joist ends to the existing joist ends if they're going to be sat on that sole plate anyway, they won't go anywhere

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Bolting may now be slightly awkward as I have insulated the other side of the ledger. Not impossible but is it acceptable to screw the support timber into the ledger instead of bolting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back