How to deal with loft ventilaton gap allowing access for rats/mice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I am probably the most non-DIY person that walks the face of the earth. Now...

Last year, my autumn and winter was characterised by hearing activity in my loft, mainly at night, that seemed to be mice or rats. I recently went into my loft and noticed that there are a few bricks missing (say 4) from one of the walls - it's clear that the gap is how they're managing to get in.

Before it becomes an issue again, I'd like to have this dealt with. I'm well aware that it's necessary to have some ventilation in the loft, but I'd like to have this gap dealt with to try and keep these unwanted visitors out (though I'm aware of their abilities to plough through anything). I doubt that a builder will be interested in such a small job, so bearing in mind my total inexperience with tending to any DIY issues, what would be the best means of me dealing with this? Something like attaching Mouse Mesh to the surrounding bricks?

Sponsored Links
If they're getting in that way they are likely present in other parts of the house, so consider getting a pest control firm in for advice. The Council are a good starting point and although most externalise this service, it can still be a lot cheaper.

Where is the wall in question, is it a shared wall, does it support the roof or do you mean an external wall. Is it a solid or cavity wall?

Blup

Last edited:
Then replace the bricks, but as mentioned you may have an infestation as rats will use the warmth of a loft to breed.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I regularly have passing rats in my rear yard, I use commercially available rat poison, it does work but can take a week or so, once the rats begin to consume the goodies I have left out for them?

As for the missing bricks? scrunched up wire mesh, and jamb it into the missing brick holes or infill with brick? nothing complex or expensive?

As opps above have you seen any droppings? sorry if i offend, small cigar shaped brown pellets?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back