How to disguise this cracked render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked if I can help tidy up a bodged crack repair to someone's rendered house.

The crack itself I can scrape out and fill as required - but the render has a horrid ridged pattern, presumably made by swirling the cement render at the time.

Any tips on how to get a good finish? Is more cement render the way forward, or a bucketload of ext. filler...?

I was thinking of scraping off that smeared cement knobbliness and then two or three good coats of paint (am painting the whole wall anyway).

Help!

Sponsored Links
No matter what you do that crack will re-appear after a time.

Given the horizontal length of the crack, and then its angle to the window opening, its obviously the masonry background thats at fault.

If it was a cavity wall i'd say its swelling/rusted cavity ties.

Plus that swirling business seems to be a cement heavy mix - that alone will condemn the render to failure: it cant expand and shrink. Unless they've used some kind of finish thats new to me, which is quite possible.

They just want it to look nicer while they try to sell the place. I told them it'd always be visible though..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back