novice render repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would really appeciate some help with a diy repair job for the render on my semi. In a nutshell I can't afford to pay someone to do a render repair or render so I want to do it myself. I have a number of large cracks that I want to rake out and fill again.

The reality is that I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm hoping someone can help with a 4 step (or more) plan.

I assume it goes something like:
1. scratch out crack (wall chisel + hammer ?)
2. Apply layer of cement (couple of bags of premix)
3. Apply render (how do I get the slightly bumpy finish the existing render has?)
4. Paint

Is that about right? Anything I should/shouldnt do? Any tricks techniques I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer...

Sponsored Links
Step 1 - ok
Step 2 - dampen wall with water
Step 3 - apply render (sand/cement mix = 1 cement to 4 sand) to stand proud of existing surface. Use a little bit of fairy liquid to make the mix fluffier and stickier.
Step 4 - allow to harden (1-2hrs ish), then carefully scrape back to existing level. Use a stiffish brush to give a bit of texture.
If you need to build up more than say 12-15mm, you'll need two coats, but the second can be applied in the same day. Leave the first coat rough for better adhesion on the second coat.
Some might say use PVA on the wall, others won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back