Exterior render info

legs waterproofer is used in the top coat on 3 coat work which is quite rare unless your doing ashlar work. the waterproofer in the scratch coat has 2 advantages it stops moisture entering the brickwork and it equalises out the suction for the following coat. the top coat will absorb water but will not readily pass it on to the background and will quickly dry out.

Sponsored Links
Hi can anyone tell me what is the best sand to use for exterior render to give it a good smooth finish? I have used washed soft sand and it has been very sandy when rubbing up and flakes away I have been told taht if you use 3.5 shovels soft sand, 3.5 sharp sand and 2 of cement this will give a better finish is this so or can anyone else help me?

legs-akimbo said:
Look the proper way to render is........actually ............with or without waterproofer in the scratch, but absolutely with waterproofer in the finished floating coat. do not use galvanised beads around windows but plastic or stainless steel. Loads more to it that has been repeated countless times before so I suggest doing a search on the subject treefella. Burkey if you dont have a clue why bother answering, someone could end up making very expensive mistakes following ill informed advise.[/b]

i cannot believe you are advising people "with or without waterproofer in the scratch, but absolutely with waterproofer in the finished floating coat. no waterproofer in the scratch coat and in the top coat is probably the worst advise you could give anyone, its not waterproof its a water repelant and water will get past the top coat and then sucked and i mean sucked into the scratch coat, tell me it was a typing error legs.

Sponsored Links
Looks like legs akimbo has got it wrong then. :(
I wonder how many homes he has rendered (no pun intended) unsound due to damp penetrating the structure.

legs is the biggest cow boy to ever be talking shi....t!!! you can be te craftiest trades man in the world but if you dont know whats supposed to go into a mix it will never be right god elp anyone who took is advice!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back