Repairing Render

ral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My basement flat has a small patio area enclosed by three walls (which are below ground level). These walls were rendered and painted five years ago and now fairly large patches (2-3 feet square) have the paint peeling away and some of the render below is also turning to powder and coming away. I'd like to repair the walls.

I'm guessing the first stage is to remove any of the flaky render/paint in the affected areas? If so how much do I need to remove, just whats loose or actually go a little deeper and wider until I get to 'good' render?

I've also seen mention of whether the existing render is sandstone or limestone, does this affect what I should use to do the repair? If so how can I tell whether I have sandstone or limestone there currently?

Once I've cleared the patches do I just apply PVA glue solution and cover with new render (4:1 ratio of sand/cement?) or do I need more than one layer of render, I don't expect the patches to be any deeper than 2 inches.

Do I then leave it to dry for several days before painting with a good outdoor paint?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back